Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Few Issues

I am sorry to put so many issues at one go.
1. I have just upgraded one of our production dbs(sql 2000) with
latest service packs( change from 3 to 4) and others hot fixes.Also
upgraded the 2003 WIN2k box with all the hot fixes. Since after,all my
processing is taking almost double time to complete.We have processings
which runs thrice a day , which pulls/massages data from our central
db.I did identify few store procs which are running very slowly.My
question.
a)Did any one face this issue before , and if yes, could anyone list
where all it could have got affected?
b) What all non-db related things i should be looking at?
2.I have a sqlserver(2000) box( win 2k3) with 8GB of RAM. I abe
configured it to use 6GB of RAM through dynamic memory management.I
have also enabled the AWE option. My question is do i stil have to
include /pae switch in the boot.ini file.3GB /PAE switch comes into
picture when i have 4 GB of RAM(certain versions) , and it gives me
that extra 1 GB. BUt when i have 8GB , it is AWE Enabled , then what
extra benefit do i get by adding this switch? Does AWE depends on PAE
switch to fucntion normally. AWE infact takes all the memory space
(except 128 MB for OS to work).SO why do i add 3GB /PAE switch to tell
OS to give me 1 extra GB more when AWE( it takes the entire memory and
not just only 1 GB more does that for me.
3. How do i know when was the last time my index was rebuilt/updated.(
may be recreate or may be using dbccreindex).i tried DBCC show update
statiscs, it does show something called last updated. What i know this
shows, when the statistics were last updated( mine is auto update).So
if i run dbcc reindex will the last updated value changeFor future posts, you might want to post each Q independently, to keep each topic in a separate
thread. :-)
2) AWE depends on OS AWE. It is a no-op to sp_configure AWE without setting PAE in BOOT.INI. You can
still decide whether to have 2 or 3 GB "normally" addressable memory using the /3GB switch. The
recommendation is not to have /3GB if you have > some 12-16GB memory in the machine (as overhead of
managing that amount of memory comes from what is left from 4GB minus 2 or 3 GB).
3) That information is not stored anywhere. Why is it important to you?
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/
<shuvam_roy@.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1127221805.482833.46720@.g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I am sorry to put so many issues at one go.
> 1. I have just upgraded one of our production dbs(sql 2000) with
> latest service packs( change from 3 to 4) and others hot fixes.Also
> upgraded the 2003 WIN2k box with all the hot fixes. Since after,all my
> processing is taking almost double time to complete.We have processings
> which runs thrice a day , which pulls/massages data from our central
> db.I did identify few store procs which are running very slowly.My
> question.
> a)Did any one face this issue before , and if yes, could anyone list
> where all it could have got affected?
> b) What all non-db related things i should be looking at?
> 2.I have a sqlserver(2000) box( win 2k3) with 8GB of RAM. I abe
> configured it to use 6GB of RAM through dynamic memory management.I
> have also enabled the AWE option. My question is do i stil have to
> include /pae switch in the boot.ini file.3GB /PAE switch comes into
> picture when i have 4 GB of RAM(certain versions) , and it gives me
> that extra 1 GB. BUt when i have 8GB , it is AWE Enabled , then what
> extra benefit do i get by adding this switch? Does AWE depends on PAE
> switch to fucntion normally. AWE infact takes all the memory space
> (except 128 MB for OS to work).SO why do i add 3GB /PAE switch to tell
> OS to give me 1 extra GB more when AWE( it takes the entire memory and
> not just only 1 GB more does that for me.
>
> 3. How do i know when was the last time my index was rebuilt/updated.(
> may be recreate or may be using dbccreindex).i tried DBCC show update
> statiscs, it does show something called last updated. What i know this
> shows, when the statistics were last updated( mine is auto update).So
> if i run dbcc reindex will the last updated value change
>|||Thanks a lot TIBOR...next tiem will post different questions on
different threads.
BTW any idea baout the first one.?|||You're welcome... :-)
As for the first one, I can't say. My first guess would be to check the execution plans for the
queries involved...
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/
<shuvam_roy@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1127229172.480279.256450@.g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks a lot TIBOR...next tiem will post different questions on
> different threads.
> BTW any idea baout the first one.?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment