Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Field Aliases

I don't know if that is the correct term or not but here is what I want to do:

I have a table in a sql server db that has generic field names (form1, form2, etc). I want the users to be able to define specific names for each field unique to them. Then when the 'table' is displayed to them(via a web page and asp/ado), I want them to see 'their' names for each field rather than the generic ones. Any ideas?

Thanks!!Maybe you can create a users table and a field names table. In the field names table, you create a foreign key to your original generic table and the users table. In your field names table, you create the same number of columns as in your generic table. For every user you can now store the field names.|||I'd recommend against doing this in the first place, but if it is absolutely necessary then the problem falls under data presentation, and is thus best handled by the interface (using cookies, config files, or whatever). The database server is not best suited to perform this task.

blindman|||Thanks for your input. What I did was simply create a table of 'Aliases' that each client could determine. Then, when they opened the original table, instead of seeing the actuall table headings, they see their customized version.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment